The Mentorship Forum is a professional development program for Young Leader members who are under the age of 35. The forum typically runs September through May, annually.
The Mentorship Forum is designed to provide the following to participating Young Leader members:
- Exploration of ULI’s mission in a confidential, trusting environment of idea exchange;
- A broader understanding of all facets of the real estate environment;
- Connectivity with ULI peers and a senior-level Mentor;
- Personal and professional development.
The Mentorship Forum consists of small groups, each comprised of 10-12 Young Leader members paired with a single Mentor. Each Small Group has an appointed Group Leader to assist the Mentor with scheduling, selecting meeting venues, making lunch arrangements/reservations, etc.
Applications to join the Young Leaders Mentorship Forum are accepted once annually, in June. APPLY NOW!
Did you miss the Info Session? View the recording below to learn how the Mentorship Forum works and how you can increase your chances of gaining admission to Class of 2021-2022.
We’re pleased to announce the incoming 2021-22 MENTORS!
- A.J. Bingham, Founder & CEO, The Bingham Group
- Elena Cutshall, Associate, STG Design
- Billy Maphies, Senior Estimator, Swinerton
- Nikelle Meade, Partner, Husch Blackwell
- John McKinnerney, Founding Principal, Castle Hill Partners
- Andrea Weisheimer, Business Unit Leadership & Project Executive, DPR
THANK YOU to our outgoing 2020-21 Mentors!
We appreciate all of the time, expertise, and dedication you have shared this past year.
- Heidi Anderson, CEO, The Trail Foundation
- Laura Evans, Principal, Abel Design Group
- David Knoll, Vice President of Real Estate Development, Ryan Companies
- Jessica Leggett, Principal, MSD Capital LP
- Brad Maples, Principal, Trammell Crow Company
- Phyllis Milstead, Executive Vice President of Commercial Real Estate, Southside Bank
Monthly meetings are scheduled between September through May, consisting of small group discussions (typically over coffee or lunch) and occasional combined group events. The monthly schedule for the Mentorship Program is outlined in more detail below.
100% attendance is expected. The members of each small group are carefully curated to ensure industry and sector diversity; consequently, it dilutes the experience for everyone if members don’t demonstrate a commitment to consistently participate. While an occasional absence may be unavoidable, reliable participation is paramount to ensuring that everyone has a meaningful exchange. Group Leaders record attendance for each meeting, and attendance is taken into consideration when determining eligibility for future admission into the program.
Because group meetings are typically held during the workday, and participation in the forum requires 100% attendance, your supervisor must acknowledge the time commitment and express company support for your active participation.
The forum is organized in Small Groups of 10-12 young leader members. The small groups meet once monthly, typically over coffee or lunch and occasionally happy hour. Dates, locations and discussion topics are decided by the group participants in collaboration with the Mentor. Meetings typically last 60-75 minutes.
Each group has a Group Leader who acts as a liaison between the Mentor and rest of the group. Being a Group Leader is a great way to develop leadership skills and forge a closer relationship with the Mentor. The responsibilities of a Group Leader include things such as assisting with group communications, setting up/managing calendar evites, tracking attendance, and ordering food for monthly group meetings. Effective Group Leaders engage the help of other group members and delegate tasks to ensure everyone plays an active role.
There is a $200 annual fee to participate in the Mentorship Forum. This fee is separate from, and in addition to, your annual ULI membership dues. The all-inclusive fee covers expenses for monthly meetings spanning September 2021 through May 2022, as well as ULI’s administrative costs for supporting the program.
QUALIFICATION CRITERIA & APPLICATION
Applicants are selected based on the following criteria:
- ULI Member age 35 or younger* (membership must be current at the time of application)
- Thoughtful and thorough responses to the application
- Employment/engagement in the real estate industry
- Active past and current involvement in ULI programs and events
- Commitment to the time required for active involvement in the program, or demonstrated commitment to the program in years past
- Demonstrated a high standard of professional and personal integrity
*Applicants must be age 35 or younger as of the June 30, 2021 application deadline.
ULI members ages 35-45 are eligible to participate in the NEXT Leadership Initiative.
KEY DATES FOR UPCOMING 2021-22 FORUM:
- June 8, 2021 – Info Session (Missed the Info Session? Listen to the Zoom Recording)
- June 30 – Application Deadline
- By July 30 – Applicants notified of admission to the program
- September – “Meet Your Mentor” Kickoff Event
- Oct 2021 – May 2022 – Monthly Small Group meetings (dates and locations for group meetings are decided by group participants and Mentor)
Have questions? Check out the FAQs to see if your question may have already been answered. If you still have questions, contact email@example.com.
Please feel free to contact any of us if you have questions about the Mentorship Forum or application process.
Young Leader Chair
Karly Houchin, Allensworth & Porter
YL Mentorship Chair
Stephen Buchanan, CREA
Cheryl McOsker, ULI Austin