2020-21 MENTORSHIP FORUM
Applications to participate in the Mentorship Forum are accepted once annually, typically in June. Applications for the Class of 2020-21 are now CLOSED (deadline to apply was August 31, 2020).
VIEW PARTICIPANTS IN THE CLASS OF 2020-21
We’re pleased to announce the 2020-21 MENTORS!
- Heidi Anderson, CEO, The Trail Foundation
- Laura Evans, Principal, Abel Design Group
- David Knoll, Vice President of Real Estate Development, Ryan Companies
- Jessica Leggett, Principal, MSD Capital LP
- Brad Maples, Principal, Trammell Crow Company
- Phyllis Milstead, Executive Vice President of Commercial Real Estate, Southside Bank
The Mentorship Forum is a professional development program for Young Leader members who are under the age of 35. The forum typically runs September through May, annually; however due to the COVID pandemic, the 2020-21 forum will run October 2020 through June 2021.
The Mentorship Forum is designed to provide the following to participating Young Leader members:
- Exploration of ULI’s mission in a confidential, trusting environment of idea exchange;
- A broader understanding of all facets of the real estate environment;
- Connectivity with ULI peers and a senior-level Mentor;
- Personal and professional development.
The Mentorship Forum consists of small groups, each comprised of 10-12 Young Leader members paired with a single Mentor. Each Small Group has an appointed Group Leader to assist the Mentor with scheduling, selecting meeting venues, making lunch arrangements/reservations, etc.
Monthly meetings are scheduled between October through June, consisting of small group discussions (typically over coffee or lunch) and occasional combined group events. The monthly schedule for the Mentorship Program is outlined in more detail below.
100% attendance is expected. The members of each small group are carefully curated to ensure industry and sector diversity; consequently, it dilutes the experience for everyone if members don’t demonstrate a commitment to consistently participate. While an occasional absence may be unavoidable, reliable participation is paramount to ensuring that everyone has a meaningful exchange. Group Leaders record attendance for each meeting, and attendance is taken into consideration when determining eligibility for future admission into the program.
Because group meetings are typically held during the workday, and participation in the forum requires 100% attendance, your supervisor must acknowledge the time commitment and express company support for your active participation.
The forum is organized in Small Groups of 10-12 young leader members. The small groups meet once monthly, typically over coffee or lunch and occasionally happy hour. Dates, locations and discussion topics are decided by the group participants in collaboration with the Mentor. Meetings typically last 60-75 minutes.
Each group has a Group Leader who acts as a liaison between the Mentor and rest of the group. Being a Group Leader is a great way to develop leadership skills and forge a closer relationship with the Mentor. The responsibilities of a Group Leader include things such as assisting with group communications, setting up/managing calendar evites, tracking attendance, and ordering food for monthly group meetings. Effective Group Leaders engage the help of other group members and delegate tasks to ensure everyone plays an active role.
There is a $200 annual fee to participate in the Mentorship Forum. This fee is separate from, and in addition to, your annual ULI membership dues. The all-inclusive fee covers expenses for monthly meetings spanning October 2020 through June 2021, as well as ULI’s administrative costs for supporting the program.
QUALIFICATION CRITERIA & APPLICATION
Applicants are selected based on the following criteria:
- ULI Member age 35 or younger* (membership must be current at the time of application)
- Thoughtful and thorough responses to the application
- Employment/engagement in the real estate industry
- Active past and current involvement in ULI programs and events
- Commitment to the time required for active involvement in the program, or demonstrated commitment to the program in years past
- Demonstrated a high standard of professional and personal integrity
*Applicants must be age 35 or younger as of the August 31, 2020 application deadline.
ULI members ages 35-45 are eligible to participate in the NEXT Leadership Initiative.
KEY DATES FOR UPCOMING 2020-21 FORUM:
- August 5, 2020 – Info Session (Missed the Info Session? Listen to the Zoom Recording)
- August 31 – Application Deadline
- By September 30 – Applicants notified of admission to the program
- October – “Meet Your Mentor” Kickoff Event with all Mentor Groups
- Nov 2020 – June 2021 – Monthly Small Group meetings (dates and locations for group meetings are decided by group participants and Mentor)
- June 2021 – Wrap-up & Info Session for next year’s YL Mentorship Forum
Please feel free to contact any of us if you have questions about the Mentorship Forum or application process.
Young Leader Chair
Karly Houchin, Allensworth & Porter
YL Mentorship Chair
Lexie Hall, Cushman & Wakefield
Cheryl McOsker, ULI Austin