The Mentorship Forum is a professional development program for Young Leader members who are under the age of 35. The forum runs September through May, annually. Applications to join the Young Leaders Mentorship Forum are accepted once annually, in June.
The Mentorship Forum is designed to provide the following to participating Young Leader members:
- Exploration of ULI’s mission in a confidential, trusting environment of idea exchange;
- A broader understanding of all facets of the real estate environment;
- Connectivity with ULI peers and a senior-level Mentor;
- Personal and professional development.
Mentors for 2022-23:
Monthly meetings are scheduled between September through May, consisting of small group discussions (typically over coffee or lunch) and occasional combined group events. The monthly schedule for the Mentorship Program is outlined in more detail below.
100% attendance is expected. The members of each small group are carefully curated to ensure industry and sector diversity; consequently, it dilutes the experience for everyone if members don’t demonstrate a commitment to consistently participate. While an occasional absence may be unavoidable, reliable participation is paramount to ensuring that everyone has a meaningful exchange. Group Leaders record attendance for each meeting, and attendance is taken into consideration when determining eligibility for future admission into the program.
Because group meetings are typically held during the workday, and participation in the forum requires 100% attendance, your supervisor must acknowledge the time commitment and express company support for your active participation.
The forum is organized in Small Groups of 10-12 young leader members, paired with experienced, senior-level ULI Members. The small groups meet once monthly, typically over coffee or lunch and occasionally happy hour. Dates, locations and discussion topics are decided by the group participants in collaboration with the Mentor. Meetings typically last 60-75 minutes.
Each group has a Group Leader who acts as a liaison between the Mentor and rest of the group. Being a Group Leader is a great way to develop leadership skills and forge a closer relationship with the Mentor. The responsibilities of a Group Leader include things such as assisting with group communications, setting up/managing calendar evites, tracking attendance, and ordering food for monthly group meetings. Effective Group Leaders engage the help of other group members and delegate tasks to ensure everyone plays an active role.
There is a $200 annual fee to participate in the Mentorship Forum. This fee is separate from, and in addition to, your annual ULI membership dues. The all-inclusive fee covers expenses for monthly meetings spanning September 2022 through May 2023, as well as ULI’s administrative costs for supporting the program.
QUALIFICATION CRITERIA & APPLICATION
Applicants are selected based on the following criteria:
- ULI Member age 35 or younger* (membership must be current at the time of application)
- Thoughtful and thorough responses to the application
- Employment/engagement in the real estate industry
- Active past and current involvement in ULI programs and events
- Commitment to the time required for active involvement in the program, or demonstrated commitment to the program in years past
- Demonstrated a high standard of professional and personal integrity
*Applicants must be age 35 or younger as of the July 5, 2022 application deadline.
ULI members ages 35-45 are eligible to participate in the NEXT Leadership Initiative.
KEY DATES FOR THE 2022-23 FORUM:
- June 1 – July 5 – Applications Accepted
- June 10 – IN-PERSON Mentorship Forum Information Session
- June 14 – VIRTUAL Mentorship Forum Information Session
- July 5 – Application Deadline
- By July 30 – Applicants notified of admission to the program
- September – “Meet Your Mentor” Kickoff Meeting
- Oct 2022 – May 2023 – Monthly Group meetings (dates and locations for group meetings are decided by group participants and Mentor)
Have questions? Check out the FAQs to see if your question may have already been answered. If you still have questions, contact [email protected].
Please feel free to contact any of us if you have questions about the Mentorship Forum or application process.
Young Leader Chair
Karly Houchin, Allensworth
YL Mentorship Chair
Stephen Buchanan, CREA
Nicole Park, ULI Austin