2019-20 MENTORSHIP FORUM
Applications for the Young Leader Mentorship Forum are typically accepted once annually, in June; however due to the COVID pandemic, the start of the 2020-21 Mentorship Forum will be delayed until Fall 2020. The 2020-21 Forum will still have the same duration (9 mos); we’re simply delaying the application period and kickoff event. Stay tuned for additional info about when the Info Session will be held in, likely in August 2020.
Thank You to our 2019-20 MENTORS!
- Laura Beuerlein, Heritage Title
- Chris Kemp, Austin Title
- PollyAnna Little, STG
- Seth Mearig, BGE
- Chris McColpin, HFF
VIEW PARTICIPANTS IN THE CLASS OF 2019-20
The Mentorship Forum is a professional development program for Young Leader members who are under the age of 35. The forum runs September through May, annually.
- Exploration of ULI’s mission in a confidential, trusting environment of idea exchange;
- A broader understanding of all facets of the real estate environment;
- Connectivity with ULI peers and a senior-level Mentor;
- Personal and professional development.
The Mentorship Forum consists of small groups, each comprised of 10-12 Young Leader members paired with a single Mentor. Each Small Group has an appointed Group Leader to assist the Mentor with scheduling, selecting meeting venues, making lunch arrangements/reservations, etc.
Ten meetings are scheduled between September through June, consisting of small group discussions (typically over coffee or lunch) and occasional combined group events. The monthly schedule for the Mentorship Program is outlined in more detail below.
100% attendance is expected. Participants are made aware of the attendance requirement at the onset of the application process. Each participant’s supervisor has provided signed permission/recognition of the monthly meetings and the attendance requirement. Each Group Leader must keep track of attendance for each meeting, and provide it to the Young Leader Management Committee at the conclusion of the program. Attendance will be taken into consideration when determining future admittance into the program.
Dates and locations for the group lunches are at the discretion of the Mentor and group participants. All arrangements related to booking conference rooms, making reservations or ordering boxed lunches will be handled by the Group Leader in coordination with the Mentor. Food and drink for Small Group meetings will be ordered in advance by the Group Leader and paid for via ULI with the funds from the $200 participation fee from each participant. Lunches are expected to last 60 to 75 minutes.
There is a $200 annual fee to participate in the Mentorship Forum. This fee is separate from, and in addition to, your annual ULI membership dues. The all-inclusive fee covers expenses for ten meetings spanning September through June.
QUALIFICATION CRITERIA & APPLICATION
Applications are typically accepted in June, however due to the COVID pandemic the start of the 2020-21 Mentorship Forum will be delayed until Fall 2020. The 2020-21 forum will still have the same duration (9 mos); we’re simply delaying the application period and kickoff event. Stay tuned for additional info about when the Info Session will be held in, likely in August 2020.
Applicants are selected based on the following criteria:
- ULI Member age 35 or younger* (membership must be current at the time of application)
- Thoughtful and thorough responses to the application
- Employment/engagement in the real estate industry
- Active past and current involvement in ULI programs and events
- Commitment to the time required for active involvement in the program, or demonstrated commitment to the program in years past
- Demonstrated a high standard of professional and personal integrity
*Applicants must be age 35 or younger as of the June 30 application deadline.
ULI members ages 35-45 are eligible to participate in the NEXT Leadership Initiative.
KEY DATES FOR UPCOMING 2020-21 FORUM:
- August 2020 – Info Session & Applications Available
- August 31 – Application Deadline
- Early-September – Applicants notified of admission to the program
- Mid-September – Email from Mentor to respective group with schedule for the first two events: Kickoff Party in late-September (all Mentor Groups) & 1st Individual Small Group Meetings in October
- Late-September – “Meet Your Mentor” Kickoff Party Special Event with all Mentor Groups
- October-May – Monthly Small Group meetings
- June 2021 – Wrap-up & Info Session for next year’s YL Mentorship Forum
Please feel free to contact any of us if you have questions about the Mentorship Forum or application process.
Young Leader Chair (2020-21)
Malorie Lee, Teacher Retirement System of Texas
YL Mentorship Chair (2020-21)
Lexie Hall, Cushman & Wakefield
Cheryl McOsker, ULI Austin