Austin’s ULI NEXT initiative identifies, connects, and elevates the next generation of leaders for the built environment and ULI. The NEXT initiative provides mid-career members a meaningful way to be active in ULI as their careers advance into leadership positions in the industry. ULI NEXT members are Full or Associate members, generally within the ages of 35-45, who have exemplified leadership at work and within ULI.
Applications to join ULI NEXT are accepted once annually, in June.
ULI NEXT provides a range of benefits to participants as they develop their leadership skills and build lasting relationships among peers, with ULI leadership, and throughout the ULI network. The program will give members:
- Valuable networking opportunities, information, and connections to move careers forward.
- A relevant voice in the organization and its program(s).
- Leadership opportunities to meet individual goals.
NEXT “flights” are organized geographically and meet monthly, September through May, for presentations of topical interest chosen by members to promote candid discussion from diverse perspectives. NEXT flights are member-driven and led by flight leaders. Each flight determines its own program content, guest speakers, and meeting schedule.
Flights are comprised of 15-18 ULI members representing a diverse cross-section of the industry. Each Flight is self-directed and the topics for each meeting are selected by NEXT members.
Meetings: Each flight meets monthly, typically for breakfast or lunch. Meeting times, format and locations are decided by the members in each flight. Flight leaders typically poll members at the start of each season (September) to collectively determine a time/location that works for all members. Based upon the collective interests of participating flight members, each flight will decide whether to hold meetings in-person, virtually, or hybrid. Many are choosing formats based upon meeting purpose (e.g., project tours in person, whereas guest speakers, panels, and group discussions may be virtual or hybrid).
- Approximately 9 sessions will be scheduled from September to May, taking a break during the summer months.
- Members are required to attend at least 75% of the meetings, and to actively participate in presenting and/or facilitating one or more of those meetings. VIEW PARTICIPATION GUIDELINES
- Members are required to pay an annual participation fee of $125 to cover expenses associated with meetings along with other ULI operational costs for supporting the program. The participation fee is separate and in addition to a member’s annual dues to belong to ULI. The participation fee must be paid by August 31, 2022.
- Once admitted to ULI NEXT, members may continue participation year-after-year without reapplying, until they turn age 45.
In an effort to keep Flights <20 people, additional flights may be added annually. Each June, an interest form will be available to ULI members. The goal is to place as many members as possible into small diverse groups, however admission/placement is not guaranteed.
For more information contact:
Chair: Chris Kemp, Austin Title Company
Staff Liaison: Cheryl McOsker
In order to foster an engaging atmosphere, NEXT has a selection process to identify members for each flight to ensure a diversity of professional sectors and interests. Participants must:
- Be a current ULI Member;
- Be in a leadership position within your firm;
- Generally, be within the age of 35-45;
- Attend 75% of meetings; and
- Pay $125 annual participation fee to cover expenses associated with flight meetings, as well as ULI’s operational costs for supporting the program.
|Central One||Central Two||Central Three||South||North|