The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Steering Committee was launched in March 2021 and is now an active part of ULI Austin’s work in addressing equitable solutions to shape the future of the built environment for transformative impact in communities worldwide.
The committee plays a unique dual role within ULI Austin as a resource in bringing an equity, diversity and inclusion lens to the work of our local District Council leadership; and as a catalyst for facilitating change in the real estate industry.
21-Day Equitable Development Challenge
ULI is committed to be a catalyst for local change in the real estate industry and in our diverse communities. To start this work, ULI Austin is inviting you to participate in a 21-Day Challenge. The goal is to spend time both personally reflecting and in group discussions to identify real actions we can take individually, at our company/organization, and as a community to address the inequities in the real estate industry.
The Mission of the DEI Steering Committee is driven by four key activities:
- Build the Pipeline by supporting the development and advancement of young, diverse members as future leaders in the city building industry;
- Amplify Diverse Voices by increasing the visibility and participation of diverse industry and community members, leaders and change-makers in all ULI Toronto’s initiatives, programs, activities and operations;
- Develop a Culture of Inclusiveness by celebrating the full diversity of our city and creating educational programs for members; and
- Empower Our Allies by identifying and supporting strategic partnerships with community organizations who are leaders in advocating for equity, diversity and inclusion in our city.
Our DEI Steering Committee is working hard to establish a DEI Action Plan for the upcoming year based on priorities that emerged from our annual strategy session in July 2021, including: new mentorship programs for equity-seeking groups; commitments to inviting new panelists and speakers with diverse perspectives to all ULI programs; changes to the composition and operation of ULI Austin’s governance and committees to reflect the diversity of our city; and many more.
Chair: Julio Carrillo, Parkhill
- Sheri Blattel, Cushing Terrell
- Elena Cutshall, STG Design
- Marcel Garza, Southwest Strategies Group
- Nora Linares-Moeller, Housing Works
- Jessica Rollason, Gensler
- Ariel Romell
- Margaret Shaw, City of Austin
- Michael Wilt, Texas State Affordable Housing Corporation (TSAHC)
- Suzanne Stumpf, Brandywine Realty Trust
- Sarah Andre, Structure Development
- Sergio Negrete, Catellus
- Christy Moffett, Travis County
Staff Liaison: Paulette Gibbins