Project Connect and Upcoming Transportation Bond
Guest Speaker: Lonny Stern, Capital Metro
- Joint meeting with Small Scale Development
- Overview of project timeline
- What is included with Project Connect vote in November 2020.
COVID Impact on Economy
Guest Speaker: Sam Tenenbaum, CoStar
Virtual City Chat and Future Plans
Legislative Preview of the 2021 session
- Impact of COVID-19 and achieving a balanced budget will dominate the conversation at the legislative session.
- Committees to address land-use items typically start initial efforts by this time and will be further delayed
Response to COVID Pandemic
Planning meeting for future sessions.
Army Futures Command Speaker Major Horner
- Around 400 employees currently in Austin
- Established to streamline the entire R&D
- Procurement process
- Office at Capital Factory, UT Systems, & JJ Pickle Federal Building
Elgin Economic Development Corporation presentation
- 7 member board appointed by City Council oversees EDC
- Working with Seton to expand medical services
- Development occurs in Bastrop and Travis county
Quick check-in as it relates to programs for 2020. Met prior to ABJ Williamson County growth summit
Discussed upcoming events for 2020
- Panel discussion w/ EDC reps from cities / counties
- Army Futures Command
- Apple campus expansion
- HEB site selection process
- Roundtable meeting with city representatives from Pflugerville/Hutto
- Discussed ‘Hipsturbia’ from ULI Emerging Trends and how it applies to Austin
Shot Clock Bill Presentation by Cedar Park, Georgetown, and Pape Dawson
- Cedar Park created voluntary alternative approval process
- Different interpretations if site plans are included
June 2018 – Round Table Discussion
The Regional Growth Local Member Council held the first in a series of roundtable events on June 19, 2018, bringing together officials and representatives from select cities and members of the local development community. Representatives from the cities of Cedar Park, Leander, and Liberty Hill shared their plans and aspirations for future growth, and attendees enjoyed an interactive discussion about what lies ahead in these fast-growing suburban Austin cities.
- Cedar Park is seeking large office users
- Leander is in transition to a new Mayor, focus of the presentation was transit-oriented development
- Liberty Hill is excited about growth; needs a grocery store
The conference room, provided by LMC member Marty Burger of American Constructors, was filled to capacity. All left the event with new connections and insights about the growth happening to the north and west of Austin.
The next regional roundtable event will be October 17, 2018 with the cities of Kyle, Buda and San Marcos.