Mentorship Forum for Young Leaders
2016-17 MENTORSHIP FORUM
The Mentorship Forum is year-long professional development program designed to provide the following to Young Leader members who are under the age of 35:
- Exploration of ULI’s mission in a confidential, trusting environment of idea exchange;
- A broader understanding of all facets of the real estate environment;
- Connectivity with ULI peers and a senior-level Mentor;
- Personal and professional development.
The 2016-17 Mentorship Forum will consist of five small groups, each consisting of 10-12 Young Leader members paired with a single Mentor. Each Small Group will have an appointed Group Leader to assist the Mentor with scheduling, selecting meeting venues, making lunch arrangements/reservations, etc.
Ten meetings will be scheduled from September 2016 through June 2017, consisting of seven small group lunch discussions and three combined group events. The monthly schedule for the Mentorship Program is outlined in more detail on the following page.
100% attendance is expected. Participants are made aware of the attendance requirement at the onset of the application process. Each participant’s supervisor has provided signed permission / recognition of the monthly meetings and the attendance requirement. Each Group Leader must keep track of attendance for each meeting, and provide it to the Young Leader Management Committee at the conclusion of the program. Attendance will be taken into consideration when determining future admittance into the program.
Dates and locations for the group lunches are at the discretion of the Mentor and group participants. All arrangements related to booking conference rooms, making reservations or ordering boxed lunches will be handled by the Group Leader in coordination with the Mentor. Food and drink for Small Group meetings will be ordered in advance by the Group Leader and paid for via ULI with the funds from the $150 participation fee from each participant . Lunches are expected to last 60 to 75 minutes.
There is a $150 annual fee to participate in the Mentorship Forum. This fee is separate from, and in addition to, your annual ULI membership dues. The all-inclusive fee covers expenses for ten meetings, including seven small group lunch discussions and three combined group events.
- Kevin Burns, Urbanspace
- Melissa Neslund, Sackman Enterprises, Inc.
- Rick Reed, DuBois Bryant Campbell, LLP
- Nikelle Meade, Husch Blackwell LLP
- Eldon Rude, 360 Real Estate Analytics
QUALIFICATION CRITERIA & APPLICATION
Applicants are selected based on the following criteria:
- ULI Member age 35 or younger* (membership must be current at the time of application)
- Thoughtful and thorough responses on the application.
- Employment/engagement in the real estate industry
- Active past and current involvement in ULI programs and events.
- Commitment to the time required for active involvement in the program, or demonstrated commitment to the program in years past.
- Demonstrated high standard of professional and personal integrity.
*Applicants must be age 35 or younger as of the July 8 application deadline.
ULI members ages 35-45 are eligible to participate in the NEXT Leadership Initiative.
- June 14 – Kickoff Party at Google Fiber & Applications Available
- July 8 – Application Deadline
- July 29 – Applicants notified of admission to the program
- August 15-19 – Email from Mentor to respective group with schedule for the first two events in September (all 5 Mentor Groups) & October (1st Small Group Meeting)
- September – Welcome to the ULI YL Mentorship Forum: Special Event with all 5 Mentor Groups.
- October, November – Small Group meetings
- December – Holiday meeting with all 5 Mentor Groups
- January, February, March, April & May – Small Group meetings
- June 2017 – Kickoff Party for next year’s ULI YL Mentorship Forum
I can’t attend the Kickoff event on June 14th, can I still apply?
Yes. Attendance at the Kickoff event is not mandatory, however it is recommended. The Kickoff Party at Google Fiber is designed to provide an overview of the program, share personal experiences from past participants and mentors, and to answer questions.
How do I apply?
The 2016-17 application portal is closed. (Deadline to apply was July 8.)
Do I have to be a member to apply?
Yes, you must have a current ULI membership. You can call 800-321-5011 to get your membership number or renew your membership. You may also email Cheryl.McOsker@uli.org for assistance.
Do I have to upload a photo and/or my resume?
Yes, the photo and resume will help mentors get to those in their group.
Do I have to have my supervisor sign the last page of the online application?
Yes, we ask that you have your supervisor sign the last page to show support for participating in this program.
I am self employed, do I have to complete the last page of the online application?
Yes, you will sign the form as both the applicant and the supervisor.
Can I request a particular Mentor?
No, ULI will assign selected applicants to Mentors in order to balance and diversify each group.
When will I know if I was selected?
You will be notified of acceptance no later than July 29, 2016.
Do I need to pay the $150 participation fee now?
No, you will be provided instructions for paying the fee if you are accepted into the program.
Please feel free to contact any of us if you have questions about the Mentorship Forum or application process.
Young Leader Chair (2016-17)
Alecia Burdick, Savills Studley
Young Leader Mentorship Forum Chair
Bailey Harrington, BIG RED DOG
Cheryl McOsker, ULI Austin
- Meet your Group Leader
- Brainstorm Ideas for Meeting Sessions
- Send out Group Email week of August 17-21 with October meeting date/location/time.
- Group Leaders – Request Bio’s of mentees and mentors to assemble for first meeting (template will be provided)
- Name tents to be brought each meeting by Group Leader (ULI Provided)
- Round Table Introductions
- Brainstorm Small Group Meeting ideas
- Set specific dates/times for meetings through January 2017.
- Ask Group Members if anyone would be willing to host future meetings
- Ask Group Members what their expectations are for the program.
- “Show and Tell” – group member presentations with Q&A about their role
- Group Members to invite senior leadership from their firms to talk about their roles.
- Project Spotlight / Case Study from Mentor/Mentees
- The 5 most Pivotal Decisions that got me where I am today
- Looking Back – What I would have done Differently
- Higher Education – is it worth the investment?
- The intangibles of career success
- Career Path – determining professional next steps
- Set your entire meeting schedule for Sept – Jan and then again for Feb – May.
- Set a precedent with your first meeting to begin on time and end on time.
- ULI.org – Advisory Board/Exec Board for Speakers/Feedback
- Creativity, out of the box! Engage and Task Participants
- Focus on group members and their roles/contributions
- Meet with each member individually for coffee/lunch (outside of meetings)
- Jeff Coddington, Senior Vice President & National Director, JLL
- Kevin Kimbrough Senior Vice Present, JLL
- Tracey Reichanadter, Client Relationship Executive, Cohn Reznick
- David Roche, Managing Principal, Endeavor
- Rick Wheeler, P.E., President, Malone / Wheeler, Inc.